Hello! I am Hillary Scharmann, the doula and perinatal educator behind HEART. My early sense of vocation in family birth support was inspired by several doulas who enthusiastically encouraged me in pursuit of a career as a doula. I enrolled in a DONA International training in 2012, and I have not looked back. My trainer, Julie Crosby, said that the most important things to bring to a birth are your hands and heart. It was then that I knew why I was there: because nurturing and believing in people is what I do best.
My practice is small volume. Birth work is as rewarding as it is challenging. I do not bite off more than I can chew. Cupcakes, on the other hand I'm still working at. I am respectful of every family's choices and parenting styles, embracing diversity and individual comfort zones. My commitment to clients is to provide professional, reliable, and compassionate care. I pride myself on collaborating with health providers toward the common goal of family support.
If I seem like a good match for you and your family, please send me a contact form to set up a Meet & Greet. If I am not available, I would be happy to connect you to other exceptional doulas in the Chicago area.
- DONA International (Doulas of North America) Trained Birth Doula, January 2012
- Trained Professional Postpartum Doula, July 2016
- MMCI (Midwest Maternal Child Institute) Trained Perinatal Educator, Winter, 2015-2016 Class
- Doula Squad Chicago - Co-Founder & Meetup Facilitator, 2014 to present
- WEAR: A Babywearing Conference - Attended May 2016
- Hypnosis for Childbirth Class - Class Audit with Tanya C. Mchale, RN, CH, January 2016
- HypnoBirthing® - Personal Study with Robin Ross, April 2013
- Power of Birth - Class Audit with Sue Gottschall, October 2012
- Advanced Massage Techniques - Workshop - Nicki Worden, LMT, February 2014
- Supporting Clients Through Cesarean Birth - Workshop by Sue Gottschall & Peggy Healy MS, LCSW, December 2013
- Shoulder Dystocia and Postpartum Hemorrhage - Workshop by Julie Harrison, CNM, October 2012
- Inductions - Workshop by Erin Farah, CNM, June 2012
- Chicago Volunteer Doulas - Event Committee, Doula, and Mom & Baby group facilitator, 2012-2014