Hello! I am Hillary Scharmann, the doula and perinatal educator behind HEART. My early sense of vocation in family birth and postpartum support was inspired by several doulas who enthusiastically encouraged me in pursuit of a career as a doula. I enrolled in a DONA International training in 2012, and I have not looked back. My trainer, Julie Crosby, said that the most important things to bring to a birth are your hands and heart. It was then that I knew why I was there: because nurturing and believing in people is what I do best.
My practice is small volume. My career as a birth and postpartum professional is as rewarding as it is challenging. I do not bite off more than I can chew. Cupcakes, on the other hand I'm still working at. I am respectful of every family's choices and parenting styles, embracing diversity and individual comfort zones. My commitment to clients is to provide professional, reliable, and compassionate care. I pride myself on collaborating with health providers toward the common goal of family support.
If I seem like a good match for you and your family, please send me a contact form to set up a Meet & Greet. If I am not available, I would be happy to connect you to other exceptional doulas in the Chicago area.
- DONA International (Doulas of North America) Trained Birth Doula, January 2012
- Trained Professional Postpartum Doula, July 2016
- MMCI (Midwest Maternal Child Institute) Trained Perinatal Educator, Winter, 2015-2016 Class
- Chicago Area Homebirth Meetup Group Organizer and Facilitator, 2017
- Doula Squad Chicago - Co-Founder & Meetup Facilitator, 2014 to 2015
- WEAR: A Babywearing Conference - Attended May 2016
- Hypnosis for Childbirth Class - Class Audit with Tanya C. Mchale, RN, CH, January 2016
- HypnoBirthing® - Personal Study with Robin Ross, April 2013
- Power of Birth - Class Audit with Sue Gottschall, October 2012
- Advanced Massage Techniques - Workshop - Nicki Worden, LMT, February 2014
- Supporting Clients Through Cesarean Birth - Workshop by Sue Gottschall & Peggy Healy MS, LCSW, December 2013
- Shoulder Dystocia and Postpartum Hemorrhage - Workshop by Julie Harrison, CNM, October 2012
- Inductions - Workshop by Erin Farah, CNM, June 2012
- Chicago Volunteer Doulas - Event Committee, Doula, and Mom & Baby group facilitator, 2012-present